Skip to main content

Rail Road Rants

"Without change, there'd be no butterflies."

If one thing is for certain, it is that change is inevitable. So many things in our lives become a habit: snuggling your dogs in the morning, calling your mom when you're confused, texting your best friend when all you want to do is scream... These habits give us comfort in our lives and encourage us to live by what we know.

The past month or so has really helped me to understand this. As much as we may pretend, no one feels confident stepping out of their comfort zones to make a change or to try something new. Sometimes we don't have a choice, like when the life of a loved one is taken or when a friendship slowly drifts apart. And there are other times when the decision is in our hands when we realize the time has come where something needs to change. I wish I could say that all changes are wanted, but I don't think that would be possible, even in a perfect world. Regardless, the quote I learned yesterday pointed out something so true; without change, there would be no butterflies.

Change isn't easy. While it can be fun and exciting, it isn't always. It's hard, and sometimes sad, to break a habit that we've grown so comfortable with. When the choice is yours, it isn't always made confidently. But in the end, change only enhances who we are. It helps us grow and forces us to discover new things. We are pushed outside of our comfort zones and detached from our habits, creating new adventures and lessons to learn.

NYC has provided me with so many opportunities to change. Some of these opportunities have come with a decision, and some have not. Some of these changes I've embraced with confidence, and the others I'm leading with uncertainty. With lack of a better term, change seems so weird to me. However, I have loved butterflies for my whole life, and we all have change to thank for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Guide: Barbados

Hi ya'll! Welcome to Friday. Amen, we've made it. In the beginning of February, I was lucky enough to escape the snowy cold of NYC (seriously, I missed a big snow storm that closed down my office), and headed to the beautiful island of Barbados. For those of you who know the name but can't point it out on a map, Barbados is a little island just southeast of Saint Lucia in the Caribbean. Brett's parents, Laura and Jim, vacationed to Barbados last year and were SO beyond kind enough to ask us to join them this year. A week away from work, a tropical island without sharks, and free tour guides (aka Brett's parents) -- who would say no to that?! For anyone looking to book a vacation, or anyone looking to torture themselves with really pretty pictures of a really pretty place, see below for a Barbados travel guide! The island was truly amazing, with friendly locals, beautiful beaches, and delicious cuisine, and I would absolutely return! I'm usually ready to ...

Kleinfeld Bridal: Day One

With a huge blister on my heel and my day two outfit chosen and ready, I'm sitting down after my first day of my internship, eager to write about that happened! So... Even though my commute into work is only about an hour, I decided to leave an hour and a half early this morning, and I'm glad I did! I had the wrong bus time so I missed the first bus, stood at the wrong track and therefore missed a train (it comes to a different track during rush hours apparently), and then was held for about five minutes in station when I got onto the transfer train. After all of that, I was still somehow about 15 minutes early, so I wandered around Trader Joe's and borrowed their bathroom. I arrived to Kleinfeld around 9:55 (I was asked to be there at 10), and then waited around until 10:30 when the other two interns that were starting today showed up. I guess I got the wrong memo! I didn't mind waiting though, I let my eyes wander around what I could see of the dresses on the floo...