Skip to main content

Back to Bridal

After three days off in a row, I set my alarm for way too early this morning and headed into Manhattan for another day at Kleinfeld Bridal. Joan paired me with Katie again, and since I enjoyed her so much the last time we were paired, I didn't bother to speak up and let her know that I have worked with Katie before.

The most memorable bride of the day was from Egypt, and I'll refer to her as Maggie. Maggie brought along her mom and another woman, whose relation I'm not sure of (I missed the first five minutes of the appointment). Anyway, Maggie was looking for a lace gown that would be in before her December wedding. As I've mentioned before, it takes about 5-7 months for dresses to come in and they arrive to Kleinfeld two months before the wedding for alterations. Therefore, any dress Maggie wanted would need to be rushed, and not all designers are able to rush their dresses so soon.

When Katie asked Maggie what her budget was, her mom replied something along the lines of "we're not going to give you a budget because we don't want to miss out on a great dress." While this may seem like a good idea to some people, it isn't. Dresses at Kleinfeld range anywhere from around $1,500 to upwards of $30,000, and everyone has a budget. Oftentimes, people are afraid of missing out on a great dress; however, I really think it's important to provide the consultant with your true budget and look at dresses that you can comfortably love and afford.

Anyway, out of fear of missing out on a dress, Maggie's mother asked us to pull a lace dress from each different price range: $2,500, $5,000, $10,000, and $15,000. Because this week is Pnina's trunk show, and she is able to get gowns in in time for Maggie's wedding, Katie and I had fun choosing dresses from the Pnina boutique. After putting Maggie into gowns from each different price range (plus a bunch more), she left with the information of a gown that she may come back for. To be honest, I don't believe she'll be back.

Katie was underbooked one appointment, so I was able to leave the shop for a snack break. I wandered over to my beloved Hale and Hearty and grabbed a delicious yogurt parfait. We got out about an hour early, since we were able to take our last appointment early, and I did some food shopping at Trader Joe's before heading back. Now, half asleep, I'm finishing this blog post after grabbing sangria and dessert with Grace and Jackie at some Mexican restaurant on Arthur Ave. Oh, the things I would do for a vacation...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Guide: Barbados

Hi ya'll! Welcome to Friday. Amen, we've made it. In the beginning of February, I was lucky enough to escape the snowy cold of NYC (seriously, I missed a big snow storm that closed down my office), and headed to the beautiful island of Barbados. For those of you who know the name but can't point it out on a map, Barbados is a little island just southeast of Saint Lucia in the Caribbean. Brett's parents, Laura and Jim, vacationed to Barbados last year and were SO beyond kind enough to ask us to join them this year. A week away from work, a tropical island without sharks, and free tour guides (aka Brett's parents) -- who would say no to that?! For anyone looking to book a vacation, or anyone looking to torture themselves with really pretty pictures of a really pretty place, see below for a Barbados travel guide! The island was truly amazing, with friendly locals, beautiful beaches, and delicious cuisine, and I would absolutely return! I'm usually ready to ...

Kleinfeld Bridal: Day One

With a huge blister on my heel and my day two outfit chosen and ready, I'm sitting down after my first day of my internship, eager to write about that happened! So... Even though my commute into work is only about an hour, I decided to leave an hour and a half early this morning, and I'm glad I did! I had the wrong bus time so I missed the first bus, stood at the wrong track and therefore missed a train (it comes to a different track during rush hours apparently), and then was held for about five minutes in station when I got onto the transfer train. After all of that, I was still somehow about 15 minutes early, so I wandered around Trader Joe's and borrowed their bathroom. I arrived to Kleinfeld around 9:55 (I was asked to be there at 10), and then waited around until 10:30 when the other two interns that were starting today showed up. I guess I got the wrong memo! I didn't mind waiting though, I let my eyes wander around what I could see of the dresses on the floo...